ICDL – International Computer Driving License
ICDL is the world’s leading computer skills certification. To date more than 14 million people have engaged with the ICDL programme, in over 150 countries, through our network of over 24,000 ICDL Accredited Test Centres (ATCs).
The ICDL programme defines the skills and competencies necessary to use a computer and common computer applications. It offers a wide range of modules including Computer Essentials, Word Processing and IT Security. Candidates take tests in the modules which are most relevant to their educational and professional requirements, thereby creating their ICDL Profile. Whether in school, university or in the workplace, ICDL offers the skills you need to succeed.
Create your ICDL Profile today by joining other ICDL candidates from around the world in certifying your computer skills to the international standard.
ICDL programmes are for anyone who wishes to become fully competent in the use of a computer and common applications. Computer skills enable people of all ages to understand and use technology to improve their personal and professional lives. ICDL modules provide a practical programme of up-to-date skills and knowledge areas which are validated by a test.
Montwood College offers a range of ICDL accredited computer courses.
Choose from our Introductory, Standard, Intermediate and Advanced courses or customise your course to suit your needs!
Once you have completed passed the assessment at our Accredited Test Centre, you will receive an ICDL Certificate. Certificates can be updated at any time by adding more modules.
ICDL FOR INDIVIDUALS
The ability to use a computer effectively is an essential life skill. Computer skills enable people of all ages to understand and use technology to improve their personal and professional lives. A computer skills certification can help the holder’s professional life by making them more attractive to employers, while increasing their ability to communicate and access information and services in their personal life.
HELP INDIVIDUALS COMMUNICATE, CONNECT, AND INTERACT WITH OTHERS
- Communicate with friends and family
- Connect with communities of like-minded people through social networks, email, or blogs
- Interact using online technologies, for example, instant messaging, webcams, VoIP, online education, and entertainment
ENABLE ACCESS TO A RANGE OF INFORMATION AND SERVICES THAT CAN SIMPLIFY LIFE AND SAVE TIME
- Make purchases online and shop around for the best value
- Manage accounts and pay bills online
- Deal with officials, send forms, and find information online through government services
INCREASE INDIVIDUALS’ CONFIDENCE, MOTIVATION, AND POTENTIAL FOR USING TECHNOLOGY
- Make the best use of their time and get the most out of their computer
- Track household accounts quickly and easily in spreadsheets
- Create professional-looking letters
- Access news, information and entertainment
FACILITATE LEARNING BEYOND FORMAL EDUCATION AND PROVIDE MORE OPTIONS FOR HOW AND WHAT PEOPLE CAN LEARN
- Attain qualifications at their own pace through distance learning, even when in full-time employment
- Access online and multimedia learning tools
- Participate in online special interest learning groups
ICDL FOR EMPLOYERS
Skilled employees enable organisations to use technology more effectively, leading to increases in productivity and competitiveness and ensuring that operational objectives are achieved more efficiently. ICDL certification programmes are used to increase the value of human capital and achieve productivity gains through developing competent employees.
INCREASE OVERALL EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY
- Produce professional quality documents and presentations efficiently without support from others
- Use formulas and functions to efficiently and effectively carry out complex calculations
- Confidently run and generate automated queries and reports (quicker than creating manually)
- Enable integration of ICT to existing business processes: use of PDAs, VoIP, online ordering
SAVE TIME AND MONEY
- Ensure less time and money is spent on IT support to resolve simple IT challenges: both IT helpdesk and other colleagues’ time
INCREASE EMPLOYEES’ CONFIDENCE AND JOB SATISFACTION
- Produce better looking presentations, graphs, charts and letters
- Complete more tasks to a higher standard, thus improving output
- Employees spend less time on mundane tasks
SIGNIFICANTLY ENHANCE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION
- Use email, instant messaging, and VoIP to communicate
- Produce documents and presentations that look more professional
- Use shared documents for collaborative projects
ICDL FOR SCHOOLS
Students with ICT skills enjoy an enriched educational experience and will be better prepared for life, work, and further learning. ICT skills enable teachers to use technology more effectively in the teaching process, thus achieving educational goals more efficiently, and in doing so save time and increase productivity in the classroom
IMPROVE COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION
- Use technology to share tasks and work on group assignments and projects
- Use email, instant messaging, and blogs to communicate with teachers and other students
- Join virtual communities on topics of interest to their course of study
FACILITATES ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- Access information on the Internet to supplement course work/study
- Access a variety of content and sources which can facilitate intercultural understanding
- Foster creativity in students by using interactive multimedia tools
PROMOTE A POSITIVE ATTITUDE TOWARDS LIFELONG LEARNING
- Engage and motivate students by enabling them to use ICT skills in learning
- Engage students with visualisation tools, voice and text feedback, to develop conceptual understanding
- Allow access to a wide range of multimedia-based learning elements
BETTER EQUIPS STUDENTS FOR LIFE AND FOR THE WORKFORCE
- Learn skills that students will need to apply to be successful in the workplace and in life
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: What is the International Computer Driving Licence (ICDL)?
A: ICDL is an internationally recognised qualification that enables people to certify their computer skills to an internationally recognised standard.
Q: What is the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)?
A: ECDL is the name given to the ICDL programme in Europe.
Q: What is ICDL Profile?
A: ICDL Profile is the name of ICDL’s most flexible programme. It allows you to choose the module combinations best suited to your needs and interests. For more see ICDL Profile.
Q: What is an ICDL Profile Certificate?”
A: You can obtain an ICDL Profile Certificate when you’ve passed any mix of modules.The different modules that you choose represent your individual ICDL Profile, and when successfully completed, these modules are then listed on your ICDL Profile Certificate.
Q: Can I complete a module in a different location from where I started?
A: Yes. Each candidate is given a unique Candidate Registration Number (CRN). This number allows a candidate to complete their ICDL certification at any ICDL Accredited Test Centre worldwide.
Q: What amount of training is required to prepare for ICDL examinations?
A: There is no set recommended number of teaching hours as this will be dependent on the needs of an individual candidate.
Q: What is the grade required to successfully pass each module?
A: The pass mark is 75% for all modules.
Q: If I fail a module, when can I re-sit the test?
A: You can re-sit the test at the next available time at your chosen ICDL Accredited Test Centre (please contact your local test centre as additional fees will be required). You are required to wait 24 hours before re-writing a module.
Q: How much do the tests cost?
A: The cost for testing is included in the course fees
Q: Where can I complete my ICDL training tests?
A: At any ICDL Accredited Test Centre. While most ICDL Accredited Test Centres provide both training and testing, some provide testing only.
Q: How are candidates tested?
A: Candidates are tested in examination conditions supervised by an ICDL Accredited Tester. Test centres in South Africa use automated test systems which automatically assess the candidates performance on completion of each test. Automated Tests provide immediate feedback to both the centre and the candidate. Candidates must complete one test for each module.
Q: Do I have to undergo training prior to taking the tests?
A: If a candidate feels that he/she will be able to meet the criteria for the tests as set down in the Syllabus he/she can take the tests without the need for training. However, you should be sure that you are ready before sitting the tests.
Q: When can I start the ICDL?
A: You can start the ICDL at any time by contacting any of the ICDL Accredited Test Centres near you. You are encouraged to undertake training at an ICDL Centre if required. Once you are ready, you may take a test for any of the modules in any order you choose. This may be subject to training or testing schedules set by each test centre.
Q: What are Recommended Profiles?
A: ICDL Foundation and ICDL South Africa recommend certain combinations of modules as globally applicable standards in digital proficiency, these are the ICDL Base, ICDL Standard and ICDL Advanced recommended profiles.
Q: Is training compulsory?
A: No. If you believe that you already have appropriate IT skills and are sufficiently experienced, candidates can register i.e. purchase a Candidate Registration Number (CRN) and start to take the certification tests. Everyone will have various levels of knowledge and experience and many want to undergo training for the areas where their background may be inadequate. It is recommended that candidates review the ICDL syllabus for more detailed information on the modules and the knowledge needed to pass them.
Q: How do I get a copy of the ICDL Syllabus?
A: The syllabus for every ICDL module is available for download from the Modules section of this site.
Q: What are Diagnostic Tests?
A: Diagnostic Tests allow a candidate to go through the testing environment in the same setting as the certification test and assess a candidate’s understanding of the particular ICDL module. We recommend a passing rate of 80%+ for the diagnostic test before a candidate is encouraged to sit for the actual ICDL certification test.